Ordway studied portraiture under G. P. A. Healy. In 1845 he opened a studio in Tremont Row, Boston. He and his friend, Benjamin Champney, founded the Boston Art Club in 1854. He served as its President in 1859. He was also a founder of the Boston Paint and Clay Club. He served as a Director of Exhibitions at the Boston Athenaeum from 1856 to 1863.
Ordway painted throughout the northeast, and in 1890 he was reported to be spending “the season” at the Kearsage House in North Conway.
Ordway exhibited at the Boston Athenaeum (1855-1864), the Art Institute of Chicago (1898), and the Mechanics Fair in Boston (1878). He also exhibited frequently at the National Academy of Design and the Brooklyn Art Association from 1868 until his death. His last known address was Boston.
Right: Charles O. Vogel
Left: Boston Art Club
New Hampshire Scenery