Largely self-taught, Alfred Thompson Bricher was a businessman in Boston from 1851 until 1858 when he became a professional artist. He studied in his leisure hours at the Lowell Institute in Boston and also attended an academy in Newburyport, Massachusetts. In the 1860s Bricher followed his contemporaries to the popular vistas of the White Mountains. There, particularly at North Conway, he studied and painted with Albert Bierstadt, William Morris Hunt, Gabriella Eddy, and Benjamin Champney. Bricher was a prolific artist and in 1860-61 alone records 20 finished paintings. Attesting to his popularity as an artist, as well as the popularity of his subject matter, are numerous chromolithographs made after his work. In 1868 he moved from Boston to New York. In 1874 he became a member of the American Society of Painters in Water Colors. He was elected an associate of the National Academy of Design in 1879. During the 1870s he devoted himself almost entirely to marine painting and spent much of his time exploring the coast of Maine, Narragansett Bay, and the Jersey Shore. His paintings were exhibited at the Boston Athenaeum, the Boston Art Club, the National Academy of Design, the Brooklyn Art Association, the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Art, and the Art Institute of Chicago.