John Paul Selinger and Emily Selinger, husband and wife, had summer art studios at the Glen House and the Crawford House.
Born in Boston on June 24, 1850, John Paul studied at the Lowell Institute and in 1875 he went to Germany to study at the Munich Academy with Wilhelm Leibl. Upon returning, he opened an art studio in Providence, Rhode Island, and married Emily McGary, also an artist. After a three year trip to Europe, Emily became fond of the French pronunciation of John’s name and convinced him to change his professional name to “Jean” Paul.
The Selingers had a studio in Boston and a summer art studio at the Glen House, Pinkham Notch in the 1880s. In 1894 the Selingers moved into the former studio of Frank Henry Shapleigh at the Crawford House. In August 1894 the Selingers accepted an invitation to serve on the board of judges for a North Conway Coaching Parade Committee. Jean Paul painted numerous portraits, still-life paintings, and White Mountain landscapes. Emily painted both watercolors and oils of local flora.
Jean Paul was a member of the Boston Art Club. He exhibited at the National Academy of Design in 1880 and the Paint and Clay Club in Boston in 1889.
Below is an 1878 signature where he signed “John.” Later, Jean Paul would sign using his initials, “J.P.”
Photo Credit c. 1900
Courtesy of the New Hampshire Historical Society
John Paul and Emily Selinger