Thomas Bigelow Craig was largely self-taught painter but may have studied at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. His specialty was summer landscapes with cattle grazing or wading through a stream.
He was elected an associate member of the National Academy of Design and exhibited there from 1879 to 1924. He also exhibited at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts (1869, 1876-1891), the Brooklyn Art Association (1881-1885), and the Boston Art Club (1884-1903). He listed his residence as Philadelphia from 1879 to 1888, after which he moved to New York City for nine years, and then to a suburb of Rutherford, NJ. from 1899 on.
Craig was a member of the Salmagundi Club in 1902, the Artists Fund Society, and the Chicago Water Color Club.
His work has been preserved at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts and the Newark Museum.